Yukon Conservation Society has educated, advocated and conducted research on environmental issues since 1968.
Protect the Peel!
have launched a legal action to force the Yukon Government to implement a Land Use Plan that will protect 54,000 square kilometres of wilderness in northern Yukon’s Peel River Watershed. Read the press release here.
The following are some of the legal documents filed with the Yukon Supreme Court.
...and here is the executive summary of the Berger opinion of the compensation of owners of mineral claims.
There is a an entire website devoted to protecting the peel - www.protectpeel.ca - it's worth a visit!! There's also more Peel Watershed info on this website. Avaaz.org has a great petition going to protect the Peel Watershed.
Search The YCS Website
Find a Yukon environmental topic by using this search engine. It also browses through all the past Walk Softly newsletters posted on this site.
- YCS acts as a public watchdog that works to ensure: environmental regulation of mining; forest management that reflects all forest values; energy efficiency and land use planning.
- The Society plays an important role in ensuring that wild lands representing Yukon’s biodiversity are adequately protected. For example, YCS was instrumental in securing the protection of the Tatshenshini and continues to work for the protection of ecologically significant areas.
- YCS produces research papers on such topics as forest planning, environmental assessment, mining and energy issues.
- Education Work: YCS has long been instrumental in promoting greater environmental awareness and understanding in the Yukon.
- We produce quality publications including environmental education handbooks, trail guides, nature appreciation booklets, and our quarterly Newsletter.
- We maintain a library of books and other resource materials relating to northern environmental isues. The library is open for public use.
This page was last updated (apart from the Twitter feed) Oct 14th, 2014
Original Web work by Mike Mason, updates by YCS staff